get your merely enhancing smoking through my vat
Bill Marcum
2007-11-08 21:32:42 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.fan.frank.mccoy.]
On 2007-11-08, Peter Pearson <***@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

Crossposted to unrelated newsgroups, Re: with no References: header,
subject and signature look like the random crap that's been posted on
so many other newsgroups. Who is Peter Pearson, and did he really write
this post or is someone trying to flood his mailbox?
Reply by email, filling out this form and emailing it to me.
Trimming off the rest of this post is unnecessary.
I will guarantee anonymity except in cases of blatant abuse.
I will achieve anonymity by tallying the results in
uncorrelated tabulations and then deleting the emails.
(I know this loses interesting correlation data, but if
resondents want anonymity it's hard to avoid.)
I know that this anonymity promise depends on trust and that
you have no particular reason to trust me. Someday, I hope.
I will post results Saturday.
xxxxxxxx beginning of survey xxxxxxxx
yes( ) ( )no Should RoadRunner be subjected to some kind of UDP?
yes( ) ( )no ... active UDP (cancels) ?
yes( ) ( )no ... passive UDP (drop messages) ?
yes( ) ( )no ... all-groups UDP? (as opposed to specific groups)
yes( ) ( )no Are you a Usenet sysadmin? How big:_ How long:_
yes( ) ( )no Should another server be subjected to UDP? Who:_
yes( ) ( )no Should UDPs be used more often?
yes( ) ( )no Should UDPs be used less often?
yes( ) ( )no Would you have answered this survey without anonymity?
xxxxxxxx end of survey xxxxxxxx
--
Almost no balanced destructions shall Faris, and they unfortunately
spell Brahimi too.
Tim Merrigan
2007-11-09 01:50:58 UTC
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:32:42 -0500, Bill Marcum
Post by Bill Marcum
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.fan.frank.mccoy.]
Crossposted to unrelated newsgroups, Re: with no References: header,
Speaking of "crossposted to unrelated newsgroups", the original
message doesn't seem to have been posted to this froup.

P.S. relating to the "survey", what is "UDP"?
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Frank McCoy
2007-11-09 02:46:55 UTC
Post by Bill Marcum
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.fan.frank.mccoy.]
Crossposted to unrelated newsgroups, Re: with no References: header,
Speaking of "crossposted to unrelated newsgroups", the original
message doesn't seem to have been posted to this froup.
P.S. relating to the "survey", what is "UDP"?
"Usenet Death Penalty"
If invoked, (usually for very egregious spamming) Usenet servers agree
not to carry post from the offending domain.

Somebody out there (and I think not this person) is hosting a server
that's really putting out a *LOT* of crap lately. The alt.sex* groups
are really getting flooded all of a sudden. I'm not sure about other
groups. Alt.sex.stories.d, for example, is suddenly getting about two
dozen or more spam posts a day; when before we used to get only one or
two.

This might be a response to that sort of thing.
It usually happens when a server becomes a home for spammers; and
doesn't care what or how much crap they post; just being happy to take
money from anybody, no matter how much they disrupt the newsgroups.
It's because of such servers that the UDP was invented. The UDP makes
it unprofitable to have customers like that; because you can't sell a
service you don't supply. It's very rarely invoked.

http://www.stopspam.org/faqs/udp.html
Tim Merrigan
2007-11-09 03:54:26 UTC
Post by Bill Marcum
[...]
Thank you.

Based on my not having gotten the original, could you do an experiment
for me and post a picture, maybe one of your wind chimes, and a
separate text only message. I've set Agent to treat this as a binary
group, but that wouldn't matter if the problem is GigaNews blocking
messages with binaries.