Radio question
Tim Merrigan
2005-04-15 01:42:26 UTC
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Enig
2005-04-15 04:12:03 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
It's not an amateur radio callsign. It's just a call that has been assigned
to a translator.

Enig
Tim Merrigan
2005-04-15 06:37:02 UTC
Post by Enig
Post by Tim Merrigan
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
It's not an amateur radio callsign. It's just a call that has been assigned
to a translator.
Enig
I now it isn't amateur, but I thought the format for AM and FM stations
was three or four letters, beginning with K west of the Mississippi and
W east, not K (or W), three numbers, and two letters. This station has
three other repeaters with traditional call signs, and seven that their
web page doesn't give the call signs for.

Tim Merrigan
Enig
2005-04-15 23:04:04 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Enig
Post by Tim Merrigan
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
It's not an amateur radio callsign. It's just a call that has been assigned
to a translator.
Enig
I now it isn't amateur, but I thought the format for AM and FM stations
was three or four letters, beginning with K west of the Mississippi and
W east, not K (or W), three numbers, and two letters. This station has
three other repeaters with traditional call signs, and seven that their
web page doesn't give the call signs for.
I don't know if the Govt has a method for assigning callsigns to commercial
transmitters, other than the one you mentioned above. Generally the three
letter callsigns were for clear channel AM broadcast stations. They would be
the only ones transmitting on that frequency at night. Transmitters and
other things the need to be identified as American can be assign calls
begining with the letters K, N, W, and a few that begin with A according to
the ITU(International Telecommunications Union).

Enig
Laurence Taylor
2005-04-16 13:32:01 UTC
Post by Enig
I don't know if the Govt has a method for assigning callsigns to commercial
transmitters, other than the one you mentioned above. Generally the three
letter callsigns were for clear channel AM broadcast stations. They would be
the only ones transmitting on that frequency at night. Transmitters and
other things the need to be identified as American can be assign calls
begining with the letters K, N, W, and a few that begin with A according to
the ITU(International Telecommunications Union).
Have any A-series calls been issued? Or for that matter any more than
a few N-series?
--
rgds
LAurence

...This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security
charles krin
2005-04-16 19:52:28 UTC
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:32:01 +0000, Laurence Taylor
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Enig
I don't know if the Govt has a method for assigning callsigns to commercial
transmitters, other than the one you mentioned above. Generally the three
letter callsigns were for clear channel AM broadcast stations. They would be
the only ones transmitting on that frequency at night. Transmitters and
other things the need to be identified as American can be assign calls
begining with the letters K, N, W, and a few that begin with A according to
the ITU(International Telecommunications Union).
Have any A-series calls been issued? Or for that matter any more than
a few N-series?
there are quite a few A series Amateur extra licenses out there, but I
don't know of any commercial stations with an A prefix.

ck
--
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)
Enig
2005-04-17 03:53:09 UTC
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Enig
I don't know if the Govt has a method for assigning callsigns to commercial
transmitters, other than the one you mentioned above. Generally the three
letter callsigns were for clear channel AM broadcast stations. They would be
the only ones transmitting on that frequency at night. Transmitters and
other things the need to be identified as American can be assign calls
begining with the letters K, N, W, and a few that begin with A according to
the ITU(International Telecommunications Union).
Have any A-series calls been issued? Or for that matter any more than
a few N-series?
Not for any Commercial broadcast transmitters that I know of. There are
over thirty-five thousand combined callsign possibilities of the two and
three letter format for commercial stations begining with K and W. I don't
think we'll be seeing any N's or A's for commercial stations anytime soon,
And the callsigns are reusable.

Enig
Laurence Taylor
2005-04-16 12:33:39 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
I've not come across one like that before either, but looking at the
FCC site, I find that this call format is used for relay stations; the
number is the channel number (I didn't know they had them!) followed
by identifier letters particular to that transmitter.

A (very long) explanation and regulations page is at
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/translator.html.

Tim Merrigan
2005-04-16 12:46:18 UTC
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Tim Merrigan
Recently the radio station I listen to acquired an affiliate/repeater
with the call letters K295AH 106.9 FM. I know you're somewhat of a
radio buff and was wondering if you know anything about this change in
broadcast radio call letter format. My first reaction on hearing it was
"that sounds like a ham call," but it isn't quite the same format.
I've not come across one like that before either, but looking at the
FCC site, I find that this call format is used for relay stations; the
number is the channel number (I didn't know they had them!) followed
by identifier letters particular to that transmitter.
A (very long) explanation and regulations page is at
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/translator.html.
Thank you. When I looked at the FCC site the closest thing I found were
Call signs for low power TV station which are (K or W)(two numbers*)(two
letters).

* Probably also the channel.

Tim Merrigan
Lurker
2005-04-17 04:38:03 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
MORE TRANSLATORS ON THE WAY: IMMACULATE HEART BUYING TWO ON THE SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA COAST

Washington, Dec 14 (CRU)— The FCC announced today that Immaculate Heart
Radio of Reno and Sacramento has filed to purchase two working translators
from the Protestant group Association for Community Education, based at
KMRO in Camarillo. The translators are K295AH 106.9 FM in Goleta and
K236AF 95.1 FM in Lompoc. Both are on the California coast. They
represent the first time Doug Sherman’s growing network will be operative
on the Pacific coast, except for KCIK in Eureka on the far northern
California coast.

K295AH will cover Goleta, Isla Vista, and the western half of Santa Barbara
with an excellent signal, but in fact should cover all of Santa Barbara
well. The tower is located on the mountains above Goleta, 555 meters above
average terrain. K236AF will cover Lompoc and the coast from Point
Arguello to Point Conception.

Both translators will complement each other. The Santa Barbara-Santa Maria
(not covered)-Lompoc metropolitan area is ranked 104th in the nation and
has 399,347 people (2000 census).

Database

Santa Barbara (Goleta): K295AH 106.9 FM Immaculate Heart Radio (10 watts
ERP, antenna 555 m HAAT). Format: to be Immaculate Heart Radio. Being
purchased from the Association for Community Education, Inc., (KMRO
Camarillo and others). Immaculate Heart Radio. See KIHM Reno, Nevada.

Lurking is the least I can do.
Tim Merrigan
2005-04-17 07:03:02 UTC
Post by Lurker
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
This is apparently out of date, the station I've been talking about,
that just acquired K295AH 106.9 FM Goleta, is KCRW the Santa Monica NPR
affiliate.

Tim Merrigan
Lurker
2005-04-17 14:07:05 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Lurker
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Lurker
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Lurker
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Lurker
ERP, antenna 555 m HAAT). Format: to be Immaculate Heart Radio. Being
purchased from the Association for Community Education, Inc., (KMRO
Camarillo and others). Immaculate Heart Radio. See KIHM Reno, Nevada.
--
Lurking is the least I can do.
This is apparently out of date, the station I've been talking about,
that just acquired K295AH 106.9 FM Goleta, is KCRW the Santa Monica NPR
affiliate.
Frequency Call Channel Service Status City
106.9 MHz K295AH 295 D FX LIC GOLETA

State Country File Number FacilityID ERP
CA US BLFT-19970929TG 84739 0.01 kW

HAAT Licensee/Permittee
555. m THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.

Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 15. 15. meters AGL

Call Sign: K295AH
Facility Id: 84739
Community of License: GOLETA, CA
Service: FX
Fac Type: FM TRANSLATOR
Status Date: 07/15/2004
Frequency: 106.9
Channel: 295
Digital Status:
Lic Expir: 12/01/2005
Licensee: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.
Address: 2310 E PONDEROSA DR STE 28
Address 2:
City: CAMARILLO
State: CA