The Good Old Days?
2004-12-31 01:18:08 UTC
You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this
(not that I'm trying to insult anyone). But the only
thing I can't recall is peaberry gum? Maybe it just
wasn't in our neck of the woods.
http://thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/
I sent this reply:

Don't remember peaberry gum either; though most of the rest came AFTER
I was young.

Frex: 35 cent gasoline would have been pretty expensive! I remember
listening to Superman on a crystal radio ... no warmup, and TVs were
something just coming out ... for the very rich.

However, I also remember bad things about those days:
Things spoiling because they didn't keep long enough, even in an
ice-box.
That milk *had* to be delivered every day, because it spoiled by two
days later.
Houses stinking of kerosene or fuel-oil ... and burning down with
amazing frequency.
Roasting in the summertime, and freezing to death in the winter.
Not even the rich had air-conditioning. The number of poor older
folks who died in such extremes was just taken for granted.
Going barefoot in the summer ... because only rich kids could afford
two pairs of shoes a year.
Cranking a car by hand and almost breaking your arm before the sucker
would start.
Cars that wouldn't start at *all* in wet weather.
"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning," because there wouldn't
be a darned thing the doctor could do for your fever. Either you'd
get over it, or you'd die ... In either case, it wouldn't be his
problem by morning.
Cars that broke down every two or three hundred miles, not two or
three hundred thousand. Tires that (if you were VERY lucky) lasted
five thousand miles.
Cars that you praised the milage of, if you got 15 miles per gallon.
Cars that overheated or froze out the plugs.
Glass pop and beer bottles left smashed on the road to tear up those
cheap balloon tires. Garbage in heaps dumped along every major
highway. People to lazy to carry their garbage to the next stop; just
tossing it out the window to smash on the highway ... Nobody LIVED out
there, so who cared?
A dollar bought a lot back then ... But you had to work harder then to
buy the same thing you bought for a dollar that costs you twenty
dollars now.
Taking hours to fix meals ... and then more hours to wash clothes.
Hanging clothing out on the line ... and then having it rained on.
Having it rain day after day, so you set up lines in the house, and
nothing ever got really dry.
Freezing pipes bursting.

No, "The Good Old Days" are mainly kid's memories of the good times
THEY had ... Because parents protected them from the bad parts.
nizzgrrl
2004-12-31 02:21:43 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this
(not that I'm trying to insult anyone). But the only
thing I can't recall is peaberry gum? Maybe it just
wasn't in our neck of the woods.
http://thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/
SNIP <<<>>> SNIP <<<>>> SNIP <<<>>> SNIP
Post by Frank McCoy
No, "The Good Old Days" are mainly kid's memories of the good times
THEY had ... Because parents protected them from the bad parts.
Hey, I'll drink to that.

The only things you left out are inner tube patch kits and gas price wars.

Dang it -- regrettably still a
Nizzgrrl
Shagrat
2004-12-31 04:11:13 UTC
Frank McCoy <***@millcomm.com> wrote in news:***@4ax.com:

Do I remember 45s? Want to see my collection of 78s? You sure don't want to
hear them. Hiss, pop, click.

My father bought our first TV so he could watch a broadcast of the first
four-minute mile. The only non-whites on it were Amos and Andy.

Cheap restaurants served hamburgers and hotdogs. Expensive ones served
steak. "Want to try some exotic ethnic food? That new place downtown serves
pizza!"
--
Shagrat

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince people
to worship him as God.
Frank McCoy
2004-12-31 05:30:21 UTC
Post by Shagrat
Do I remember 45s? Want to see my collection of 78s? You sure don't want to
hear them. Hiss, pop, click.
Remember when the *average* lifetime of a car was THREE YEARS!
Imagine how short the lifetime of some of them were.
Tim Merrigan
2004-12-31 16:31:22 UTC
Post by Shagrat
Do I remember 45s? Want to see my collection of 78s? You sure don't want to
hear them. Hiss, pop, click.
My father bought our first TV so he could watch a broadcast of the first
four-minute mile. The only non-whites on it were Amos and Andy.
Cheap restaurants served hamburgers and hotdogs. Expensive ones served
steak. "Want to try some exotic ethnic food? That new place downtown serves
pizza!"
And, according to one of my father's anecdotes, from when he went back
to visit St. Cloud after living in L.A. for a couple years. That
hamburger came on white bread, and when asked for lettuce, tomato, and
onion, the clerk growled that "We don't serve salads."
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Uncle Sky
2004-12-31 05:27:49 UTC
Gee Frank. The author of that list must be some kid. :-)

I remember most of those things but some came after I was older. You and I
have shared memories before and I know you remember some of the same things
I do. Except you were poorer from what you've said.

There was good and there was bad. It depended on a lot of things which you
had more of. I don't remember too much of my personal childhood and I
consider that a blessing.
--
Uncle Sky
http://www.asstr.org/files/Authors/uncle_sky
http://www.geocities.com/uncle_sky2004/index.htm
Tim Merrigan
2004-12-31 16:24:16 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this
(not that I'm trying to insult anyone). But the only
thing I can't recall is peaberry gum? Maybe it just
wasn't in our neck of the woods.
http://thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/
No, "The Good Old Days" are mainly kid's memories of the good times
THEY had ... Because parents protected them from the bad parts.
Thank you. I've always hated those idealized nostalgia messages. Of
course I don't remember most of those things, because I've always found
rose colored glasses to be highly uncomfortable.

And I like two relevant aphorisms: One: The "Good Old Days" weren't.
And two: _These_ are "The Good Old Days".

Tim Merrigan
Frank McCoy
2004-12-31 20:52:18 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Frank McCoy
You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this
(not that I'm trying to insult anyone). But the only
thing I can't recall is peaberry gum? Maybe it just
wasn't in our neck of the woods.
http://thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/
No, "The Good Old Days" are mainly kid's memories of the good times
THEY had ... Because parents protected them from the bad parts.
Thank you. I've always hated those idealized nostalgia messages. Of
course I don't remember most of those things, because I've always found
rose colored glasses to be highly uncomfortable.
And I like two relevant aphorisms: One: The "Good Old Days" weren't.
And two: _These_ are "The Good Old Days".
I remember the 60's and 70's with some fondness ... and didn't
appreciate them as well as I should have at the time.

I'm afraid you might be right about *these* being "The Good Old Days"
... at least as far as freedom goes. ;-{

Since the 70's, I've seen many things we took for granted as freedoms
everybody had and deserved legislated and stolen away. I fear that in
about 20 years we'll look back at today as the last days before the
last few freedoms we had were taken away in the name of "security";
somewhat like Germany during the war, where anybody could be stopped
by any official for any reason and asked for his/her papers. The days
of being able to roam from and to any part of the country for any or
no reason, with no ID nor need of any are fast coming to a close; as
are the days where you could do anything that wasn't specifically
forbidden. Now it's becoming that you have to have permission to do
anything ... and if it isn't specifically listed as permitted, then
it's going to be forbidden.

It isn't there YET; but I see the day fast approaching.
After that it won't be long before you have to get government
permission to work at ANY job, to leave one job, or to change jobs.

At one time you could walk into any town, work for a few days, and
then move on, with nobody knowing or caring who you were. Your name
and where you came from were YOUR business; and if you didn't
volunteer, then it was rudeness incarnate to pry.

People say that 9/11 changed everything ... But it shouldn't have.
The very strength of this country that others hate is its freedom.
Sadly, we give the terrorists the very thing they want most at the
very thought of them attacking again.

The terrorists won. ;-{

They died in the battle ... but won the war.
We no longer are the free country we were before they attacked ... and
THAT was their main aim ... the thing they thought it worth dying for.

Envy and hate of our freedom to do whatever we want.
And we gave it all up without a fight or even barely a protest.

Yes indeed. I think we WILL look back at these days as the last
golden glow of freedom freely given up in the name of security.

Sorry ... I'm feeling a little down right now.
Hearing on TV about President Bush "wanting to spend his capital to
achieve his agenda" because of his "mandate from the people". Some
people at the Capitol are hoping Bush "will reach across the aisle to
achieve bipartisan goals".

Only: Bush certainly didn't do that last term, when he LOST the
popular election; so why would anybody expect him to do so when he won
by 51% of the voters? That 48% voted *against* him isn't seen as
significant. After all: He WON this time. So those who disagree
with him should shut up, keep quiet, and let him have his own way.
And if we don't like it, we can lump it. Yeah, right.

What's really sad, is I hear *exactly* those sentiments being
expressed ... By neighbors, right-wingers, AND politicians alike.

Being proud of diversity seems to have been buried somewhere.
I never knew it was dead; and we never held a funeral.
Pardon me, while I weep in private ... Don't dare do it in public, or
the Gestapo (Pardon me: "Homeland Security") will arrest me for
Unamerican Activities. (Damn ... THAT is back again too?)

<Sniffle.> ;-{
Öldman©
2004-12-31 23:39:15 UTC
NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:52:18 -0600,Frank McCoy's cat ran across
the 'puter keyboard and out came...
«In alt.fan.frank.mccoy Tim Merrigan <***@comcast.net> wrote:
«
«>Frank McCoy wrote:
«>> Just got this in email from a friend:
«>>
«>>>You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this
«>>>(not that I'm trying to insult anyone). But the only
«>>>thing I can't recall is peaberry gum? Maybe it just
«>>>wasn't in our neck of the woods.
«>>>
«>>>http://thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/
«>>
«>>
«>
«>>
[...]

The major argument always made against the Russian Communist govt.
They have a constitution second to none in the world as it spells
out very clearly all of the things that you have a 'right' to do.
Sadly, anything NOT written is unlawfull. Sound familiar?

«
«It isn't there YET; but I see the day fast approaching.
«After that it won't be long before you have to get government
«permission to work at ANY job, to leave one job, or to change jobs.
«
«At one time you could walk into any town, work for a few days, and
«then move on, with nobody knowing or caring who you were. Your name
«and where you came from were YOUR business; and if you didn't
«volunteer, then it was rudeness incarnate to pry.
«
«People say that 9/11 changed everything ... But it shouldn't have.
«The very strength of this country that others hate is its freedom.
«Sadly, we give the terrorists the very thing they want most at the
«very thought of them attacking again.

Right wing pressure groups were chipping away at your freedoms LONG before
the attack, 9/11 simply gave them an excuse to clamp down on things.

«
«The terrorists won. ;-{
«
[...]
I think future generations will look at these times as the worst the
world ever endured. Unrestrained use of resourses, pollution, global
warming - these issues totally ignored by the US. THAT is why the rest
of the world hates Americans!! Your actions DO affect those that live in
other countries. We see you as 'anything for a buck' people.
OM
Shagrat
2005-01-01 04:22:43 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
The terrorists won. ;-{
They didn't attack the World Trade Center to knock down a couple of
buildings; you knock down buildings every day. They didn't attack to kill
3000 people; traffic kills that many every month. They didn't attack to
disrupt the economy; aside from a small glitch, the economy remained
stable and didn't go into decline for another year.

They attacked hoping the administration would go off half-cocked and
declare a holy war on the Islamic world.

Guess what?

to worship him as God.
Frank McCoy
Öldman©
2004-12-31 19:39:05 UTC
NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:18:08 -0600,Frank McCoy's cat ran across
[...]
The visit to the outhouse in the depths of winter and using pages from an old
catalogue.

Love/Hate relationship with winter, got to sleep longer but freeze more.
(the washbasin full of frozen water first thing in the morning, the ice
cold floor that the feet hit......)
OM
Frank McCoy
2004-12-31 20:56:35 UTC
Post by Öldman©
The visit to the outhouse in the depths of winter and using pages from an old
catalogue.
Thank Goodness for modern TP!!
Post by Öldman©
Love/Hate relationship with winter, got to sleep longer but freeze more.
(the washbasin full of frozen water first thing in the morning, the ice
cold floor that the feet hit......)
Stoking up that old wood-burning stove so you could fix breakfast and
heat water to wash with. Then having to take out the ashes. And
hauling wood, splitting wood, sawing wood, etc.. The woodpile chores
NEVER ended.

Baths only once a week ... at the very most.
Same thing with changing clothes. Nobody was going to do washing more
than once a week, because it took all day long.

Of course, nobody worried about stinking from not taking a bath,
either. EVERYBODY smelled that way.
writerz01
2005-01-01 05:31:49 UTC
Remember 1 cent bubble gum that you didn't have the 1 cent for? Fresh
meat was a butchered calf or hunted rabbit. Possibly a chicken if it
wasn't laying eggs anymore. Vegetables were grown in your garden, not
in the store. Winter vegetables were canned and stored in the cellar or
basement. Hopefully winter didn't last to long so they didn't run out.
Milk did come from the cow. Actually walking in 2 feet of snow to go to
school. Getting a paddeling at school(mostly deserved) then getting it
at home because you got it at school. Friends actually entertaining
themselves without shooting someone for fun.
There were hard and bad times. But I think there were more hard and
good times. The hard made you try. You didn't have a choice. You did it
because no one else was going to. There were no free bees handed out.
I'm glad my kids and grand kids haven't had to live those days. But
there are times when maybe they would have learned a little more about
life.