Geesh. Is is just me or ....
2005-06-12 03:04:17 UTC
Note cross-posting:
Trim if you wish.

I, or possibly somebody else, and I'm getting the reflection, seem to be
under some kind of DOS (Denial Of Service) attack.

Or, maybe it's just some worm gone completely wild.

I'm getting a gazillion "returned mail" or similar messages, mostly from
the same two places ... So I guess it really isn't me, and I'm just
getting the reflection of merely my *share* of the crap.

I suppose several people out there (OK, thousands actually) have my
email address, and so the worms harvest them and put me in as purported
sender.

This happens all the time, when like me you retain the same email
address for years. I usually get ten or twenty a day.

But now ... 1800 in just a few hours?
And it's seems to be getting worse.
Geesh.
It's almost taking me more time to delete the responses than it takes
more to come in.

If that's just what *I* see, what are the real targets getting?
Yes, I *know* my system is clean.
Pee Wee Herman
"" <@>

Yes, I *know* my system is clean.
Uncle Sky
2005-06-12 05:27:23 UTC
Post by "" <@>
No Problem Here Frank.
Nikki
Post by Frank McCoy
[...]
Nothing here either. Anf btw after warning about cross posting the message,
you didn't. Or at least it didn't show as cross posted as I see it.
Uncle Sky
Frank McCoy
2005-06-13 00:15:11 UTC
Post by Uncle Sky
Nothing here either. Anf btw after warning about cross posting the message,
you didn't. Or at least it didn't show as cross posted as I see it.
I know ... Sorry about that, but when I did the cross-post, I mistakenly
put in alt.frank.mccoy ... left out the "fan".
So, I copied it to here afterwards ... and forgot to remove the notice.
Laurence Taylor
2005-06-12 10:13:22 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
Trim if you wish.
I, or possibly somebody else, and I'm getting the reflection, seem to be
under some kind of DOS (Denial Of Service) attack.
Or, maybe it's just some worm gone completely wild.
I'm getting a gazillion "returned mail" or similar messages, mostly from
the same two places ... So I guess it really isn't me, and I'm just
getting the reflection of merely my *share* of the crap.
I wouldn't worry unduly, probably it's just that your address has got
to the top of the virus-sender's/spammer's list.

What I think happens is that the virus gets trapped by an ISP's
filters, and sends it back to the supposed sender, which it thinks is
you.

I'm afraid all you can do is wait until it subsides; meanwhile, put
some message filtering in place.

Although it's a bit late for you now, I also reccommend pussing a fake
address in your usenet posts; it's rare for these people and software
to look at the Reply-To line.
--
rgds
LAurence

...If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed
Frank McCoy
2005-06-13 00:16:10 UTC
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Frank McCoy
[...]
... But I *want* people to just hit "reply" and get to me.
Laurence Taylor
2005-06-13 21:48:51 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
Post by Laurence Taylor
Although it's a bit late for you now, I also reccommend pussing a fake
address in your usenet posts; it's rare for these people and software
to look at the Reply-To line.
... But I *want* people to just hit "reply" and get to me.
Ah, you misunderstand me. Spammers' software doesn't normally look at
the "Reply-To" entry, because it doesn't appear in the newsgroup info,
you have to download the messages to get it.

Any real people who read your posts will be able to hit "reply", and
their response will go to the right place. Have a look at the headers
to this message: "nospam.plus.com" doesn't exist, but press "reply by
email" or whatever your newsreader calls it, and you'll see my genuine
address.

Frank McCoy
2005-06-14 00:19:44 UTC
Post by Laurence Taylor
Post by Frank McCoy
Post by Laurence Taylor
Although it's a bit late for you now, I also reccommend pussing a fake
address in your usenet posts; it's rare for these people and software
to look at the Reply-To line.
... But I *want* people to just hit "reply" and get to me.
Ah, you misunderstand me. Spammers' software doesn't normally look at
the "Reply-To" entry, because it doesn't appear in the newsgroup info,
you have to download the messages to get it.
Any real people who read your posts will be able to hit "reply", and
their response will go to the right place. Have a look at the headers
to this message: "nospam.plus.com" doesn't exist, but press "reply by
email" or whatever your newsreader calls it, and you'll see my genuine
address.
Hmmm ... I might do that.
Hate to; but might be forced into it.
;-{

The flood stopped last night ... And then seems to have started up again
today. Damn.
2005-06-13 00:17:40 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
If that's just what *I* see, what are the real targets getting?
Yes, I *know* my system is clean.
Are you using AVG Antivirus, Frank? If you are, it may be a problem
with the e-mail scanner. Try shutting off the e-mail scanner portion of
the program and that may stop the junk. This happened to me a while
ago, and I decided to unregister my e-mail address before I realised
what the real problem was... *sigh* I hope I can save you a bit of work.
Gord
Forgot to mention, after you've shut it off and find that the e-mails
have stopped, uninstall, then reinstall AVG and that should fix it.
Nope. Use NAV.