A picture-puzzzle - Corn.jpg (0/1)
2005-03-05 00:40:53 UTC
I took this picture as part of my "four seasons" set.
When I got it home, I thought, "My Gosh, what a *perfect* photo for a jigsaw
puzzle!" It had enough self-similarity to be the makings of an incredibly
difficult puzzle to put together. Just the thing for a jigsaw puzzle fanatic.

So, over the past weeks I went looking on the web for puzzle stuff on the
computer. There were several that had you print your own picture on jigsaw
backings. Actually, you used the same kind of print-media to make the picture
as you use to make iron-on T-shirts.

Only the very Biggest and BEST of those puzzles made only 8 1/2 x 11 pictures,
and the best had only about 108 pieces. Not exactly a challenging puzzle.

So I kept looking, and on the web found "Calyptic Creations", that made an 11" x
17" (legal size) print of your picture on a jigsaw puzzle of 308 pieces:
http://www.calyptic.com/mainpro/puz.shtml
A bit pricey; but making a decent sized puzzle with enough pieces to be
challenging.

I thought about it for a while, then splurged; sending them the above picture.
It came back in what looked like a tiny box; but the puzzle inside was
*gorgeous*.

It took me about twelve hours to put it together. I stayed up until 4:30 in the
morning, after starting early in the afternoon to put it together.

Then, once the wife had seen it, I crumpled it back up, and yesterday I took it
down to the "Guardian Angels" care center, where elderly people stay, and
donated it. I knew that they had a special table set up there all the time,
where some people sometimes took days to piece together a puzzle. Previously
I'd donated a self-referential puzzle that I had around the house for years
before finally putting the thing together. Unlike most puzzles, that one had
only about four different puzzle shapes ... Each set going together to make one
tiny part of the puzzle. THEN you put each four-piece set in it's proper place
in the puzzle, so that all references, such as, "All chairs are above this
line," or, "'Has anybody seen a lost child?' ... 'There's a crying kid, four
lines down.'," worked.

Anyhow ... enjoy the picture.
It makes great wallpaper too.
Shagrat
2005-03-05 03:42:07 UTC
Post by Frank McCoy
[...]
Ye gods, Frank! That would be about the worst puzzle I've ever seen; thank
heavens you could only get 308 pieces.

My parents have spent the last two weeks doing one of Monticello. They're
flying to California tomorrow and my father says, if it isn't done, they
can't come back -- he doesn't want to face it anymore!
--
Shagrat

God tolerates pride in none but Himself.
- Herodotus
Frank McCoy
2005-03-05 04:15:31 UTC
Post by Shagrat
Ye gods, Frank! That would be about the worst puzzle I've ever seen; thank
heavens you could only get 308 pieces.
It *was* just about as difficult as I figured it would be.
I was really hoping though to get it made into a 500 or 1000 piece puzzle.
Same sized pieces; only a lot more of them.
Nobody it seems does that right now.
The 308 piece 11x17 puzzle seems to be as big as you can get made ... That I've
found, anyway. A bit pricey too; unless you order them in quantity.
Post by Shagrat
My parents have spent the last two weeks doing one of Monticello. They're
flying to California tomorrow and my father says, if it isn't done, they
can't come back -- he doesn't want to face it anymore!
Heh, heh. ;-}
I can sympathize.
That self-referential puzzle I mentioned was a bear too.