this is nutz!
2005-01-15 19:59:55 UTC
vj found this in alt.callahans, from Frank McCoy
]I do have about a dozen of them made up, if anybody is interested and
]has a wind-chime in a really windy area. They age *beautifully*. All
]individually hand-made and orginal.
ooooooooooh - wanna trade?
Certainly! They're just sitting around here, looking pretty ... and
pretty useless, as I only have TWO wind-chimes.

I have about five or six 3" square (and heavier) ones, and two or
three 2" square (and lighter) ones, and one diamond-shaped one. Which
would you like?

The diamond-shaped one has a tiny crack in the glass at the bottom;
but it doesn't detract (much anyway) from the looks. It's actually
the only one of three such that was (fairly) successful.

I'm cross-posting this to alt.fan.frank.mccoy (my froup), where I'm
posting pictures of them.

The picture of the large wind-chime on the right, shows it with one of
the large 3" squares, taken this morning when it was about -6F
outside. The smaller chime on the left still has the orginal
wind-catcher. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of the 2" ones I
made. When it gets windy outside, it sounds like a bull got let loose
in the belfry. ;-}

The one on the larger wind-chime has been on there for about a year
and a half now; surviving winds that blew down trees in the yard. (I
have pictures of the mess THAT made too.) The original, I had to
replace about every six months to a year.

The top hanger on each is made of bronze brazing rod, heated and bent
into shape, and soldered (like the rest) with the new lead-free
plumbing solder. It's *quite* hard; and shows no sign of weakening
after a year and a half of hard usage.

The three catchers in the photo were taken on blue paper in the
kitchen after being brought in from the garage, where it's below zero
outside; so they have a little bit of condensation on them.

I call them "wind-catchers" only they really aren't; though that's
what they replace. I found that the chimes themselves catch the wind
*just fine*; and what I really needed was a pretty weight to hold the
donger in place while the chimes whirled around them in the wind.
This was what I came up with on the third try. Some earlier tries
were *prettier* but not nearly rugged enough.

I'd post a link to a URL; but don't have a website right now; so I'll
post a link to the pictures in my froup instead.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:59:55 -0600, Frank McCoy <***@millcomm.com>
wrote:

<snip>
Post by Frank McCoy
I'd post a link to a URL; but don't have a website right now;
What happened to it?
Post by Frank McCoy
so I'll post a link to the pictures in my froup instead.
Except that some servers don't have binaries in "alt.fan.frank.mccoy".
Post by Frank McCoy
If that's any help.
--
Arargh501 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the garbage from the reply address.
Frank McCoy
2005-01-16 01:06:42 UTC
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
<snip>
Post by Frank McCoy
I'd post a link to a URL; but don't have a website right now;
What happened to it?
Couldn't afford it.
When the kid got high-speed DSL hooked up through our intranet, I was
getting connected there anyway, instead of through the dial-up. So, I
dropped the ISP; keeping them *just* for my email addy.
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by Frank McCoy
so I'll post a link to the pictures in my froup instead.
Except that some servers don't have binaries in "alt.fan.frank.mccoy".
Um ... Point.
Most better ones do though; and the rest usually will, if you ask.
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by Frank McCoy
If that's any help.